Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Instant Replay 8/3/10



I intended this post to analyze a few of my suedo-predictions in my last few posts, but I'll expand it to include news from games last night.

My fantasy team took some big blows last night, as I'm sure most of yours did. Carlos Santana suffered a horrific injury that appeared to be season ending. During a collision at home plate with Ryan Kalish, Santana's knee buckled and hyper extended backwards, as well as his ankle twisting sideways before his shoe popped off under the pressure. It was nasty anyway you look at it, and scary for his owners (let alone the Indians). In the same game Kevin Youkilis "jammed" his thumb on a swing and eventually came out of the game. MRI's are scheduled for today, and he likely will be out for a few days. Hopefully he can avoid a DL stint, as thats the last thing the Red Sox need at this point.

Alright, enough depressing injury news. Let's see how I did with the spot start predictions.

Started Travis Wood Cin, Monday at Pittsburgh

This was just about the perfect spot start. 7 scoreless innings, with 4 K's and a 0.43 WHIP, while recording the dominant win. It doesn't get much better than this when plucking pitchers from your free agent pool, and truth be told, Wood might not be a free agent in your league for much longer.

Sat Jeremey Hellickson

I whiffed on this one, as Hellickson also posted a very good spot start. 7 IP, 2 ER and 6 K's, good for a 2.57 ERA and 0.71 WHIP while also recording the win (over a very good Minnesota team). This start was arguably more impressive than Wood's, given the level of competition. I may have overlooked one thing when predicting this in the "Sit" column, that being the fact that this was only a one game stint and Hellickson had a chip on his shoulder with something to prove.

Going forward, I'm still holding strong with my Start Vin Mazzaro and Sit Scott Olson. For the rest of the day I'll hold my breath as Santana and Youkilis go in for MRI's on their respective injuries. Here's hoping for the best.